Getting ready to use some of our delightful Embrace fabric for your summer wear? Here are some tips from Shannon Fabrics.
Sewing with EmbraceTM Double Gauze
EmbraceTM double gauze is a woven, breathable, soft, and lightweight fabric. It’s made from two layers of gauze, a light fabric with an open weave, that are basted together every inch. This basting forms a subtle grid over the entire fabric and allows the two layers to act as one. Our double gauze gets softer and softer with every wash.
• For most uses, we recommend machine wash in cold and hang dry or tumble dry on low. • Prewash to achieve maximum crinkle prior to cutting.
• Take advantage of the fray when it works for you (e.g. scarf edges, hemlines, etc.).
• Double gauze loves steam and presses well.
• Use the gridlines of the weave to get straight cuts.
• Use tailor’s chalk or water soluble markers rather than clipping notches.
• Use a lightweight interfacing as needed, sew-in recommended.
• Use a new 70/10 or 80/12 sharp needle to avoid snags.
• It’s preferable to choose loose-fitting clothing patterns, shaped with gathers rather than darts. • Use French seams, serge your seams or zig zag.
• A narrow rolled hem on the serger is a great finish for edges and seams.
• Glue-basting works well for both apparel and blankets.
• Seam tape is a good option on shoulder seams and other stress points.
• Stay-stitching is extra important because double gauze likes to grow.
• Use nice sharp pins; glass head and silk pins are great choices.
• Lightweight silk or wool batting or flannel for batting in quilts.
• Shorten your stitch to 2.0 or 2.5 and reduce tension to avoid fabric pulling.
• You may want to use starch or sizing to give it stability.
• Cotton lawn or voile works well for facings and linings.
Notions we recommend with EmbraceTM double gauze
• Universal needles size 70/10 or 80/12 (SCHMETZ) • Mark B Gone fabric marking pen (Dritz)
• Scissors with serrated top blade (Kai 7250SE)
• Best Press or spray starch
• Seam Remover (Kai)
• Sew-in interfacing
• Knit Stay Tape
• Long pins designed for fine fabrics