This is the perfect season to cuddle up with your favorite cup of coffee and a cozy throw blanket! Throw blankets are a simple project and make perfect gifts for friends and family! Shannon Fabrics has made this easy to follow video tutorial that will walk you through the steps in making your own blanket.
Fabrics and notions you’ll need to sew a throw blanket with binding
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here is what Teresa recommends for her throw blanket with binding tutorial:
- Buffalo Check Cuddle® minky plush fabric in scarlet/black
- Luxe Cuddle® Sherpa in white
- Architextures Wide Text by Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman Fabrics
- Rotary cutter (45 or 60mm)
- 24”+ acrylic ruler
- Felt tip pen
- ODIF 505 Basting Spray
- Long, flower-head pins (Clover recommended)
- Fabric clips (Clover Wonder Clips recommended)
- 90/14 Stretch needle (SCHMETZ recommended)
- Polyester thread (Teresa used Mettler)
- Hot Hemmer (Clover)
- Fabric Folding Pen (Clover)
Tips for sewing a throw blanket with binding
- Teresa chose to omit the flannel layer, used basting spray rather than hand/machine basting and used a ¾” seam allowance.
- Make sure to cover the area to avoid overspray. Clean any overspray with warm, soapy water.
- You can use leftover 2 ¼” cotton binding strips, but hem with a ¼” and sew with ½” seam allowance.
- Use a stitch-in-the-ditch foot to help get an even topstitching.