This week, Shannon Fabrics has made a tutorial for this super cute cupcake pillow! With an approximate size of 14" x 16" it makes the perfect size travel pillow or add it to any room for a splash of color and some fun! Below you can find the list of recommended fabric and notions, expert tips, free downloadable pattern and step by step video tutorial to help you along the way!
These products can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, but here's what's recommended.
- 1/3 yd. Luxe Cuddle® Chenille Blush
- 1/3 yd. Luxe Cuddle® Hide Natural
- Scraps of Cuddle® 3 Baby Pink, Yellow, Sunshine, Papaya, Aqua, Topaz, Iris
- 4” square of Cuddle® 3 Cherry
- Polyester batting 20” x 40” (Quilters Dream Poly Request)
- Polyester thread (Mettler)
- 90/14 Stretch needle (SCHMETZ)
- Long, flower-head pins (Clover)
- Stiletto (ByAnnie's Stiletto & Pressing Tool)
- Basting spray (ODIF 505 Temporary Adhesive)
- Fiber fill (Fairfield World’s Poly-Fil or Royal Silk)
- Hand-sewing needle
- Walking foot
Tips for sewing a cupcake pillow
Basting the pieces to the batting will give the cupcake more body, but you can make it without batting if you prefer.
Use a wide zig zag stitch to applique the Frosting Top to the Cupcake Bottom. Teresa uses a 5mm wide and 5mm long zig zag.
Use a straight stitch to attach sprinkles, making sure to backstitch at each end.
Trim batting slightly smaller than the fabric to make point/curve matching easier.
Use Original Poly-Fil for a firmer pillow and Royal Silk Poly-Fil for a softer pillow.